October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and the annual campaign to increase awareness of breast cancer. While most people are aware of breast cancer, many forget to take the steps to have a plan to detect the disease in its early stages and encourage others to do the same. Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women worldwide and the second most common cancer overall. It is a leading cause of cancer death in less developed countries and the second leading cause of cancer death in American women, exceeded only by lung cancer.
Breast Cancer In the United States
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women after skin cancer.
- About 232,670 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in women in 2014.
- About 62,570 new cases of carcinoma in situ (CIS) will be diagnosed in women (CIS is non-invasive and the earliest form of breast cancer) in 2014.
- About 40,000 women will die from breast cancer in 2014.
- The five-year relative survival rate for female invasive breast cancer patients has improved from 75 percent in the mid-1970s to 90 percent today.
- The five-year relative survival rate for women diagnosed with localized breast cancer (cancer that hasn’t spread to lymph nodes or outside the breast) is 98.5 percent. In cancer that has spread to nearby lymph nodes (regional stage) or to distant lymph nodes or organs (distant stage), the survival rate falls to 84 percent or 24 percent, respectively.
- There are more than 2.8 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S., including women still being treated and those who have completed treatment.
Links for More Information
- The American Cancer Society
- The American Cancer Society, Breast Cancer Facts & Figures 2013-2014
- National Cancer Institute SEER Stat Fact Sheets: Breast Cancer
- World Cancer Research Fund International
- World Health Organization
If You Would Like to Donate for a Cure…
Dr. Evans offers our female patients comprehensive gynecological care from early teen years to menopause. With years of experience, our provider understands that each woman has individual needs and concerns. Whether your needs are as simple as a preventative visit or a complex gynecological problem, our practice is favored among Cincinnati’s most discriminating women.
We offer the following services…
- Preventative Care
- Annual Exam
- Abnormal Pap Smears
- IUD Placement/Removal
- Birth Control
- Endometrial Ablation
- Hospital Based Gynecological Surgery
- Hormone Balancing
- Chronic Pelvic Pain
- Diagnostic Ultrasound
- Sexual Health
- Polycystic Ovarian Health
- Uterine Fibroids
- Cancer Screenings
- Sexually Transmitted Infections/Diseases
Contact us (513-985-0950) today to get started!